Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Floor Mat Fun

It's Friday nighttime in a little Beaver State town. We are well into winter; currently trapped in the hellish purgatory of this calendar month called February. The temperature have been in the single figures for longer than I can remember. Night come ups before I go forth work, my gas measure resembles a telephone number, and an icy premix of snowfall and sleet continuously disguise the landscape with a grayish White blanket. If I desire to do it out of this season alive, I necessitate to do my ain fun. I rather bask skiing, but my years on the mountain usually stop mid afternoon because that is when the lifts close down. And as much as I like having an eggnog or two (or ten), I necessitate something to fulfill my clip besides dainty beverages. My friend and I ended up having a batch of merriment the other nighttime using nil more than a set of flooring mats.

"Tonight is going existent to be fun," I thought to myself as I arrived over at my friend Keane's house. Great, even my simple ideas are turning sarcastic. Keane is a bear of man; a robust animal lacking any sense for manner and personal hygiene. I strike hard on his door and surprisingly he greets me in an unusually well put-together manner. His face fungus that normally runs rampant across is now trimmed with the accomplishment of a 6th class male child who got a clasp of his father's razor. Light glitters off his dark hair, illuminating the utmost amount of colloidal gel farewell most of his hair to the left. "What's the particular occasion," I inquire as I come in into his low abode. He had a smile pasted across his human face that must have got been ace glued on because it wasn't coming off. "Well, if you're looking for a day of the month you better give me a few drinks first" I joked. I mean, it wasn't exactly Keane's style to acquire all dressed up for a nighttime at the local tavern. This is the cat who didn't cut his hair for two twelvemonth to win a $10 bet. "We're meeting Sonya at the pub," Keane managed to acquire past his grinning jaw.

Ohhh. Now it all do sense. Sonya is a miss we went to high school with, the cunning miss who would have got gotten the attending she deserved if she could just travel out of her sister's shadow. Now Keane had liked Sonya for a while. He never made a move because chasing misses wasn't his style. He'd rather be throwing darts and jesting with the cats than sipping bubbly with a doll by a fire. But Keane had started working with Sonya a few hebdomads ago and apparently they hit it off pretty well. Keane had put up a double-date, but without telling me. Iodine couldn't turn down that large ugly mugful of his, so we hopped in my motortruck and headed over to the tavern.

The ladies weren't there when we arrived, so we had a few drinks. I think we should have got paced ourselves, but we were nervous. By the clip they showed up we were three sheets to the wind. A mixture of liquor and nervousness took over Keane. I could state he was putting her off with every syllable that drop out of his mouth. At least he was still grinning; slightly drooling, but grinning nonetheless. We excused ourselves and went to the bathroom and came back to two empty chairs. As I watched the smile autumn from Keane's human face for the first clip that nighttime I said, "Hey man, let's travel outside I necessitate to demo you something."

Distractions be given to temporarily help. Straining for something to speak about, I noticed the steep hill behind the tap house and started reminiscing about all the good modern times we had sledding; staying out until our toes were asleep and blue. Bingo. I pulled two flooring mats out of my truck, tossed one to Keane, and started to climb up that hill. I reached the top, parked my rear on my improvised sled, picked up my feet, and hoped for the best. The freeze nighttime created a thin layer of water ice above the snow. My sledge flew down the hill and I allow out a cry as I cruised past Keane. His eyes opened like a child on Christmas.

Before I knew it he was at the top of the mountain and taking a running play start. His weight helped him make a batch more impulse and he really started to pick up speed. "Wooooooo," he yelled as he blasted past me in the parking lot. He wasn't slowing down though. His hurrying sledge was headed right toward chief street. I glanced one way. It was clear. I look the other manner and see caput lights. "Keane! Stop!" Their path's are going to meet. As they near, the auto sweeps on their brake system and Michigan just adequate to barely lose my friend. The driver got out of the auto and started screaming, "What is the substance with you?! I could have got killed…" It was Sonya. "Keane?" she asked as he walked into the car's light. "What are you doing? I would have got hit you if I hadn't seen the visible light reflecting off your glossy head". Keane just looked down at the ground. "I'm sorry Iodine left, I had to run home, but I was coming back," Sonya explained. "Why don't I give you a lift home?" she asked. From the parking batch I could see the two silhouettes in the headlamps embracing.

Good for Keane. He nearly died, but it looks like everything will work out mulct for him. As for me, I'm sweaty, cold, and about to catch pneumonia. Finally, Beaver State is getting exciting.

No comments: